Facebook & Instagram Down October 2021
Facebook, Instagram & WhatsApp all went down on Monday 4th October 2021 at 16:45.
What can you do as a business next time there’s a social media outage, as confirmed by the BBC?
Don’t panic – read this expert advice from our very own Social Media specialist, Chris Brown.
This is what to do next time there is a social media outage.
- Let your customers know you’re still there – on a different network
- Be light-hearted in tone of voice – it’s a problem out of your control
- Build an audience on another network – relevant to your target audience, in case it happens again
- Pause ad campaigns if you can – so you’re not wasting money in the outage
- Shift ad spend to other networks during the blackout – so you’re making the most of your money elsewhere
- Pull back ad spend for a few days post-blackout – assess the situation and let the network ‘get back to normal’
- When the network is back up, don’t be too hasty to post – let the site sync and update accordingly, we’d give it an hour or so
- Add a note in Google Analytics – so you can account for the (lack of) activity
What caused Facebook, Instagram & WhatsApp to go down?
It’s been put down to a “faulty configuration change” relating to an internal server problem.
How long was Facebook, Instagram & WhatsApp down for?
Is Facebook, Instagram & WhatsApp back up now?
Yes. Facebook, Instagram & WhatsApp are back up and running as normal now.